Belleville is well-known—and for good reason—for its scenic cycling paths. The idyllic bicycle and pedestrian routes along the river, harbor, and Bay of Quinte draw both local outdoor enthusiasts and day tourists from Toronto and the GTA. While the picturesque city boasts well-designed bike paths, and cyclists are a familiar presence among larger motor vehicles, accidents still happen. Cyclists in Belleville, or cyclists planning to travel there, should be aware of their legal options for seeking compensation should an accident occur through negligence resulting in personal injury.
Several claims by injured cyclists have been brought to the attention of personal injury lawyers in Belleville in recent years. To reference a few:
- A 64-year-old cyclist was killed on Highway 37 north of Belleville after suffering a collision with an oncoming SUV.
- A 30-year-old man was riding an e-bike during the early morning hours along Belleville’s Moira Street West when he was struck by a vehicle and forced to veer into another, causing him to be struck a second time. The man had to be transferred to a larger hospital to treat severe injuries.
- During a “People with AIDS Friends for Life” rally, 350 cyclists were passing through Prince Edward County on route to Montreal when one of their group experienced a malfunction on his bicycle and collided with a parked car. Tragically, his injuries included a life-altering broken neck.
- In separate incidents, cyclists on Front Street and Coleman Street each suffered minor injuries after being struck by car doors.
Cycling accidents can result in a wide range of outcomes from minor injury to lost income to wrongful death. In each of these circumstances, it is important that those suffering from personal injury reach out to a personal injury lawyer to ensure that they receive the full amount of benefits and compensation entitled to them.
The attorneys at Injury Lawyers of Ontario (ILO) work with the best personal injury law team in Belleville to provide professional and effective legal representation to those in need. Those working within ILO treat their clients as family and are committed to achieving the most favourable outcome for you; if fair compensation cannot be reached through a settlement, the claim will be taken to court. Your claim will be well documented to incorporate all relevant details such as expert testimony (medical and otherwise), witnesses (if any), loss of income, specific injuries and any other evidence supporting your claim. Throughout the litigation process, your ILO lawyer will keep you well informed of progress. While injuries related to cycling and car accidents are common in Belleville, they are not the only form of personal injury that may cause residents to seek legal counsel. ILO practices personal injury law across a range of areas; injured persons are encouraged to consult one of our legal offices if they or a loved one need representation related to any of the following:
- Car accident
- Motorcycle accident
- Automobile accident benefits
- Catastrophic injury
- Product liability
- Brain injury
- Spinal cord injury
- Disability claims
- Slip and fall injury
- Wrongful death
“Personal injury” refers to any negative impact of a harmful act on one’s physical or psychological wellness. Personal injuries can affect one’s ability to work and carry out day-to-day responsibilities, cause loss of income or independence, and can greatly alter the course of an individual’s everyday existence. Many sufferers of personal injuries do not receive the full benefits and reparations owed to them simply because the navigational processes through insurance companies and legal procedures are so complex. If you or a loved one have suffered a personal injury of any kind, we at ILO urge you to allow a personal injury lawyer to help you through the process to ensure you receive every cent of compensation you rightly deserve.