|Showing posts under "Motorcycle Accidents"
|A Back or Spinal Injury caused by a Car Accident can be Life-changing
||Car accidents commonly cause back and spinal injuries that can have serious, long-term consequences. Injury compensation is generally based on the severity of injury and degree of loss for the accident victim.
||Sep 02, 2021
|Ontario Laws and Safety Tips for Off-road Vehicles
||The operation of off-road vehicles (ORV’s) and ATV’s in Ontario are governed by some laws that are unique to ORV’s as well as laws that impact all motor vehicles. Learn about the rules and laws unique to ORV’s, and stay safe this summer.
||Jun 03, 2020
|Motorcyclist awarded $3.7 in Damages for Traumatic Brain Injury
||Although helmets help protect motorcyclists fromotorcycle accident lawyer m traumatic brain injury (TBI), riders are still at greater risk of TBI in serious motorcycle accidents. Brain injuries can be fatal, or may result in permanent and serious impairments for the accident victim, as occurred in a recent London Ontario motorcycle crash.
||May 01, 2020
|How does ‘Joint and Several Liability’ protect Accident Victims?
||Joint and several liability holds each defendant (or 'at fault' party) in a personal injury claim liable for the entire amount of damages sought by the injured person. Accordingly, accident victims may seek additional damages from a defendant who has the means to pay if damages exceed the other defendant’s maximum coverage.
||Feb 02, 2020
|Car Driver found fully liable in Chatham Motorcycle Accident
||After a car driver cut off a motorcycle and caused the motorcyclist to suffer serious physical and cognitive injuries, the rider commenced a lawsuit to find the car driver liable for his losses. And, the Court ruled that the car driver was entirely at fault in causing the accident and fully liable for the motorcyclist’s injuries.
||Jul 02, 2019
|Insurer required to provide Coverage to Driver who forgot to renew her Licence
|| In Kozel v. The Personal Insurance Company, the Ontario Court of Appeal ruled that insurance coverage can generally not be denied to someone driving with an expired licence.
||Dec 21, 2017
|Texting while driving causes Fatal Motorcycle Accident
||A young driver admitted to texting while his car struck a motorcycle in Windsor, resulting in fatal injuries for the motorcyclist. An Ontario judge found the negligent driver guilty of criminal negligence and asserted that there must be serious consequences for drivers who take such risks.
||Oct 29, 2017
|Arbitrator rules that Applicant for Accident Benefits must submit to Insurer’s request for Medical Examination
||An insurer withheld an applicant’s Income Replacement Benefits because the applicant refused to submit to an examination requested by the insurer. In a 2016 arbitration, the arbitrator found that the insurer gave a valid reason for the request and therefore withholding of benefits was lawful.
||Sep 13, 2017
|Motorcycle Safety for Women who ride
||More and more woman of every age are taking to motorcycling and there are important safety issues that can be unique to female riders.
||Jul 17, 2017
|Watch out for Motorcyclists!
||Motorcyclists are especially vulnerable to severe injury or death when colliding with a vehicle. Although speed and inexperience are common factors in motorcycle crashes, accidents often result when other drivers fail to watch for motorcyclists.
||May 12, 2017
|Is our Vehicle Insurance System flawed? – The Adam Bari Story
||Adam Bari was severely injured in a serious motorcycle accident and found that his injuries, although substantial, no longer qualify as a ‘catastrophic impairment’ under new insurance rules effective June 1st. The $65,000 now available for non-catastrophic injuries under statutory accident benefits are woefully inadequate to pay for Mr. Bari’s losses and thus, place huge financial stress on his family.
||Jan 25, 2017
|Proving 'but for' Causation in a Claim for Damages
||Successful injury claims generally rest on proving ‘But for’ causation. This means that, if not for the negligent actions of the defendant, the accident victim’s injuries would not have occurred.
||Jan 01, 2017
|Husband and Wife Motorcyclists injured in Amherstburg Hit-and-run
||On Sept 16, a couple were run off the road in a hit-and-run accident while they were riding a motorcycle on a local road in Amherstburg, Ontario, resulting in serious and critical injuries, respectively, to the husband and wife.
||Sep 27, 2016
|Playing it Safe while Motorcycle Riding
||Motorcycle riding is often described as exhilarating, but riders should understand the risks and dangers and how to avoid being a victim of a personal injury from a motorcycle accident.
||Jun 20, 2016
- All Posts
- Bodily Injuries - Accident victims may suffer a wide variety of physical and mental injuries that result in diminished mobility and pain.
- CPP Disability Claims - Injured or disabled individuals who have paid into CPP are eligible to receive benefits.
- Car Accidents - Car and truck accidents are the leading cause of personal injury in Ontario.
- Cycling Accidents - Many Ontario communities offer very little infrastructure to keep cyclists safe and separate from other road users. This circumstance coupled with inattentive or reckless motorists too often results i
- Distracted Driving Accidents - Distracted driving is a leading cause of car accidents and personal injury.
- Dog Bites - Dog bites and attacks in Ontario generally result from irresponsible owner actions. Under the Dog Owners' Liability Act, dog owners can be held responsible for bites to other people or their pets.
- Impaired Driving Accidents - Car accidents caused by an impaired driver.
- Injury Compensation - Personal injury compensation may include damages for financial losses, loss of enjoyment in life, and punitive damages.
- Long term Disability Benefits - Individuals who are unable to work due to injuries or illness may be entitled to claim long-term disability benefits.
- Motor Vehicle Accident Benefits - Accident victims are eligible to make a claim for motor vehicle accident benefits under their vehicle insurance policy.
- Motorcycle Accidents - Motorcycle riders are particularly vulnerable to serious injury in the event of a motorcycle collision. When an accident is caused by a careless car or truck driver, an injured motorcyclist is eligib
- Municipal Liability - Municipalities may be liable for injuries if an unsafe condition on a municipal property or caused by a municipal service/employee resulted in injury to the public.
- Pedestrian Accidents - Pedestrian accidents often result in serious injury or death, and in many cases, are caused by motorists who are speeding or fail to monitor for pedestrians.
- Premises Liability - Under Ontario's Occupiers' Liability Act, an owner, tenant or someone responsible for the activities on a property, may be liable if someone is injured on an unsafe condition on the property.
- Recreational Accidents - Recreational accidents includes accidents resulting in injury while participating in organized sports, ATV and snowmobiling, water-related activities, and other recreational venues
- Slip Trip and Fall Accidents - A slip and fall or trip and fall accident may result in serious injuries. If these injuries were caused by an unsafe condition on a premises, the property owner may be held liable for damages.
- Spinal Cord Injury - Damage to the spinal cord causes spinal cord injury and the effects are generally reduced mobility and sensory functions, often with a devastating impact on the injured person's life.
- Traumatic brain Injury - When a violent blow to the head causes a traumatic brain injury, there may be tissue damage, bleeding, bruising and other damage that can cause long-term effects or fatal injury.